Google
 
Web crispy23.blogspot.com

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

"Mr. Compassion"

So, no kidding, there I was. Earlier this evening in "Ethics & Morals in the Criminal Justice System" (or some long drawn out title for "Ethics in Regards to CJ"), the class discussion had moved to Tom Cruise's "outburst" of self-professing expertise in psychology. Throughout the debate, I'd interjected minor comments, but for the most part, I'd remained quiet. The argument made by a certain individual, who we'll call "Jersey Girl", was that Tom was "ethically responsible" for the comments made against taking medication to combat depression. Now, her stance was that he should not have said that because if one of his fans (followers) hears that & stops taking the medication, it will be his fault if that person were to do something harmful, suicide.

Fear not, loyal readers, Crispy came to the rescue to immediately put down such stupidity. Well, that all changed with her comment.

Fire for effect! I unloaded. The highlights of my rebuttal are as follows: "It all goes back to that funny thing called personal responsibility. If you're stupid enough to listen to an actor about depression and medications, you probably should off yourself." As the entire room erupts in laughter, the teacher managed to chuckle out, "Now that we've heard from Mr. Compassion..."

I really think I'll get some good material out of this class, the social science one, and that horse-hockey "Social Problems" class. Expect some good posts where I absolutely blow away stupidity in that fashion that only I can do so well.

Have a Great Evening,
Crispy