Google
 
Web crispy23.blogspot.com

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Movie Reviews: Collateral, Darkness, The Terminal, Ocean's 12, and The Ladykillers

Collateral
All praise Michael Mann! This director is the Guru-Dali Lama-el Presidente-Fürher-a hair short of god-status as a director. As for character development during and prior to film production, I've never seen something so well done. In Mr. Mann's choice of camera angles, you can see reflections (pun intended) of his "Miami Vice" days.

Tom Cruise plays his most convincing role yet. Via the magnificent character development that I mentioned earlier, a tear will be in your eye for his character by the end of the movie. I want to be careful to not say too much.

Overall, this is a 4.8 out of 5. I cannot accurately describe the high caliber that this movie attains. This is a must see. Drop whatever you are doing right now & go watch the movie. Then, check out the extra features. Finally, watch it again. You won't be disappointed.

-----

Darkness
Um, okay. The story builds suspense, but the ending is so abrupt, it seems like they didn't complete their thoug...

I have a feeling that the Director's cut/special edition will be a decent movie because it will contain explanations and answers that the theatrical version left out. The premise of the movie was that Girl X needs to prevent Action Y from taking place. The majority of the suspense in the second half of the movie is about the prevention of Action Y. As the credits were rolling by (I waited a few minutes just to be sure it was really over), I started to ask myself what the big deal was if Action Y did, indeed, happen. Well, they explained it! So, for those of you who like to think about a movie after you see it, it will be extremely disappointing. Again, maybe the Director's Cut will answer it.

Tolerable movie... as long as you have something to do afterwards that will distract you from thinking about the movie. Due to the killer (of the movie) ending, I'm going to have to give it a 2/5.

-----

The Terminal
Tom Hanks does it again. He never fails to impress me with his acting skills. By the end of the movie, you will be cheering along side the other characters as they celebrate "The Goat"'s victory, you could say. K. Zeta-Jones, on the other hand, plays a constant relationship-destructo-machine (which boar an eerie resemblance to the behavioral pattern of a certain relative of mine, but I'll save that for another day).

Good movie. Tom Hanks. What more is there to say? 3.6/5

-----

Ocean's 12
I'd rather try to snort onions out of a blender. Man, you thought Starship Troopers was bad? You ain't see nothing yet. This movie is horrible. Please, skin my forehead with an ax, but just don't make me watch that again.

Overall, 1/5. I mean, it took some kind of effort to get all those names to scrolling past at the end.

-----

The Ladykillers
Again, Tom Hanks does a job that will keep you laughing throughout. Beware of the crude language in about a 10 minute span of the movie, though (towards beginning). Other than that, I'd say a good, fun movie.

3.3/5 If you are looking for an action film, this isn't it. I have a feeling that if you are a cynical person, you'll enjoy this one more than others will.

-----


Crispy