Google
 
Web crispy23.blogspot.com

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

What --->NOT<--- to Do When "Tinkering" with Your Windows Box

When I'm trying to sort out someone's disaster that they call a "computer", I am almost always asked how I became "so good with computers". Well, here is part of it...

My hard drive has several partitions on it (C-Windows, 2 Linux partitions & E-Windows "Storage" for images, misc, etc). Earlier in the week (~Wed) I had enabled the "Compress drive to save disk space" option for my E drive just to see what, exactly it did. Turns out, it saved a little bit of space. Since it is starting to get a little tight on my C drive, I decided I'd give it a shot on my primary installation location as well. All was well... Until last night. I'm one of those guys that leaves his computer on 24/7 (never know when you might need to blog!). For some reason, I decided to reboot* my computer last night. Well, as it was going through the boot-up sequence, shortly after the XP logo and the little progress bar on the bottom ran for a bit, I received a quick flash of the Blue Screen of Death™ and my system rebooted itself. Not cool. MY computer(s) doesn't (don't) do that. Other people's systems can, but not mine. I take care of my computer. So, I proceeded to boot in Safe Mode (successfully, which was a relief), and I did some more tinkering, to which availed no result. Last night I decided to disable the "Compress drive to save disk space" option for my C drive. Some time this morning, it finished. Rebooted computer. "You are a no-go at this station." Fiddle sticks! Some more tinkering. Some more thinking & headaches. Got an idea, but it depends on a Microsoft product doing its job (like that'll happen). Boot into Safe Mode once more. Give System Restore a shot. Windows starts to shut down and begins the restore. Restore completes & the computer reboots. *crosses fingers* I boot up normally & all is a go! W00t! I was almost shocked. Kudos for System Restore. But then I remember, this is MY computer. My computer always works.

If Sys Restore didn't work, I had also begun to entertain the thought of bringing my computer down to the witch doctors at IIT (Information & Instructional Technology; yeah I know, gay name = gay people). But then I decided I'd rather totally reinstall Windows before I let them get their greasy demonic claws on my system.

*Rebooting & restarting are the same thing. Though, reboot is the technically correct term. "Restarting" is a term from Microsoft. Rebooting is NOT reinstalling Windows/reformatting a drive. It is extremely annoying when non-technical people use incorrect nomenclature when they are trying to bring me "up to speed" on how they got their computer in the horrible state it current resides. /end rant

Use this new-found knowledge wisely.
Crispy