Google
 
Web crispy23.blogspot.com

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

I Told You it Would Happen

The only difference, was that I expected it to send me into a tail spin of a tangent for a few paragraphs. My Political Science professor made a very profound statement in class today. It went something like this:

When a liberal hears the word freedom, he thinks, "Freedom from..." slavery, oppression, disease, etc. When a conservative hears the word freedom, he thinks, "Freedom to..." start a business, travel abroad, etc.

Those weren't the exact examples he gave. I wish I had written down the exact words he used for the examples because they were quite insightful, but the main point is still conveyed.

Alright, so check it out. About the last twenty minutes of class was reserved for a debate: Liberals vs. Conservatives. I freakin' live for this stuff. There were 2 Libs & 2 Cons. I was a member of the "audience" (the rest of the class). The 3 topics they decided to discuss was 1) Abortion, 2) Gun Control and 3) the Draft. *rubs hands together* This is going to be fun, I started thinking to myself. I flip over to a fresh page so I can take notes on things I want to comment on (fallacies in the Libs argument & points that I want to make).

First up, abortion.

Lib1: Abortion is an Individual Liberty.
No, it isn't. It is murder committed by one human being against another. Reference any case where a "fetus" was killed while still inside the mother because of a drunk driver.

Lib1's response to the driving accident issue was that, in those situations, it wasn't the decision of the mother. (A great, logical response, of course.)

If it is wrong for one person to kill a baby, it is wrong for all. End of discussion.

Lib1: Her [the mother's] right to decide.
Again, this is murder. What about the father's opinion? The only reason there should be any legislation against abortion is because it involves the murdering of citizens.

Lib: Abortion is a personal thing. It doesn't affect society.
You keep telling yourself that. Answer me this. How many doctors/scientists/poets(not that I care, but some do) have we murdered by allowing abortions? An estimate will suffice.

There were many other non-sense comments mixed in, but I'm just hitting the bigger ones.

My rebuttals for the gun control argument was nothing that you haven't already heard here. And the libs didn't even make comments that were worth writing down to respond against.

As for the draft, we ran out of time to cover that one.

Debates Rule!
Crispy