Google
 
Web crispy23.blogspot.com

Sunday, December 03, 2006

The Inability to Grasp the Issue

I was scanning over WND the other day when I stumbled across this article ([FL] "Turnpike to point drivers to Citgo rivals") that they had linked to. After reading the article and mainly out of curiosity, I started to read the comments that had been posted about the article. I'm not sure if I was more amused by the kid who managed to get his bachelor's degree in six years while working "over 4 years" at a Citgo and his inability to spell, the supposed professor who was unable to write in complete sentences of the incoherent ramblings of "John" (30NOV @ 2059). Another point that bothers me is that one commenter accuses BP of price-gouging because they had record profits compared to Citgo and other companies. I suppose no one attempted to take into account the fact that the US government recently lowered the required detergent levels in US-sold fuels thereby providing a less-expensive but also less-efficient fuel to Americans. As some consumers have reacted to this, take a wild guess which company didn't lower their products standards.

Anyway, it would seem to me that the idea of government signing a contract with a company to provide a service to a group of people where those people have no other option for service would indeed be a monopoly. Having been on the FL Turnpike just last month, I did notice that Citgo was the only gas station there.

I want my BP (or Shell V-Power in support of AudiSport North America)!

Crispy