Google
 
Web crispy23.blogspot.com

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Memorial Day 2005

Today my church was able to honor veterans in a small way by hosting a short (modified) color guard ceremony. The guard consisted of two members. One who carried the national Colors and one who carried the state colors. We marched up the center isle, performed a counter-column and stood fast while a short video was shown with "America the Beautiful" playing in the background. From my perspective, it was a mediocre ceremony, if it was even that. I wished and still wish that we could have done more. Shortly after the ceremony had ended, they had asked that all veterans would please stand up in order to be recognized. Much to my surprise, about ten to fifteen men and women stood up. On one hand, I expected more; on the other, I was surprised there were so many.

Some time later, I was told by the wife of a Vietnam veteran that the ceremony had brought a tear to his eye. I thought she was joking when she first told me, but she wasn't. Her husband isn't the type to show that kind of emotion, at least in public (in the 12+ years I've known him).

As I have spend more time around veterans of all types, I've started to notice that they don't need much in order to feel appreciated, recognized and loved. Their service was and is so important to them that even the smallest act of kindness will make the longest lasting impact on them.

The more I thought about that particular Vietnam veteran throughout the day, the better I felt about having performed what was done. If it was enough for a veteran, it was enough for me.

Crispy

P.S. - Blackfive has an excellent Memorial Day post entitled: "Opening the Gates of Heaven".



UPDATE: 30MAY2005 @ 1333:

Chaotic Synaptic Activity also has very good Memorial Day post, "Memorial Day, 2005: It's Not All About the Numbers".